Greenup County is home to 2 of the last remaining covered bridges in Kentucky, Bennett’s Mill and Oldtown. These bridges are featured in Bridges to the Past’s 2 day tour.
Bennett’s Mill bridge spans Tygarts Creek. It was originally constructed in 1855 and was restored in 2002. Every June, there is a one-day event called “Dinner on the Bridge”. During this event, the bridge is closed to traffic and turned into a rustic dining hall. From Greenup, take US 23 North to KY 10 (AA). Then, from KY 10, turn right onto KY 7, the bridge will be a little over ¾ of a mile up KY 7.
Oldtown bridge crosses the Little Sandy River. The bridge was built in 1880 and later restored in 1992. The bridge is still in operation, but only allows foot traffic. From Greenup, take KY 1 all the way to just past Oldtown. Shortly after, there will be a road to the left called Frazer Branch, the bridge about ¼ mile on the left up that road.